Entering the Process to Become a Minister of Word and Sacrament
Steps in the Pre-Inquiry Phase
- A person experiences the call of God to the ordained ministry of Minister of Word and Sacrament and shares this sense of call with his or her pastor.
- The pastor contacts Cheryl Carson, CFP Associate Executive Presbyter firstname.lastname@example.org or Rev. Walk Jones, Chairperson of the Committee on Preparation for Ministry (CPM) at email@example.com and shares the above information.
- The CPM Chairperson/Central Florida Presbytery (CFP) Leadership Development & Resourcing Coordinator provides the pastor and potential inquirer information and documentation about the steps in the preparation for ministry process.
- The CPM Chair or CFP staff person offers to arrange for a CPM representative to visit the church session to discuss the following: (1) reviewing the steps in the process, (2) the role of the session, (3) the financing of the required career counseling, and (4) instruction about the session’s meeting with the potential inquirer and endorsing him or her as an Inquirer.
- The CPM Chair or CFP staff person provides materials to the Potential Inquirer and Church Session for review. These documents include: 1. Steps in the Preparation for Ministry Process
2. Procedure for Career Counseling Services
3. Presbytery Policy on Non-PC(USA) Seminaries
4. PC(USA) Seminary Summary
5. Policy for CPM Based on 2009-11 Book of Order
- Forms to be completed prior to the Potential Inquirer's meeting with the church session: Form 1A
- The potential inquirer submits the completed forms (1A-C) to the session for review. The session will review forms and meet with potential inquirer to determine whether or not to endorse the inquirer.
- If the session chooses to endorse the potential inquirer, it appoints an elder liaison to give support to him/her and to be the connecting link between the session and the CPM.
- The session is also encouraged to make a plan to give financial support to the potential inquirer upon his/her entrance into seminary.
- Following the session meeting, the potential inquirer must participate in a career counseling evaluation approved by the CPM. See the document, “Procedure for Career Counseling Services.” The counseling evaluation report must be provided to the CPM two weeks prior to meeting with the potential inquirer.
- The potential inquirer arranges to meet with the CPM at one of its monthly meetings (the last Tuesday of each month except July and December).
- Forms to be completed by the church session following the meeting with the Potential Inquirer and forwarded to Cheryl Carson, CFP Staff Liaison to CPM two weeks prior to the potential inquirer's meeting with the CPM: Form 1D
- Forms to be reviewed, completed, and signed by Potential Inquirer and forwarded to Cheryl Carson, CFP Staff Liaison to CPM two weeks prior to his or her meeting with the CPM. Sexual Misconduct Policy
- The potential inquirer meets with the CPM, accompanied by the her or his pastor, session liaison, and spouse/fiancée (if applicable). The CPM votes whether or not to enroll the person as an Inquirer. If the CPM votes to enroll the Inquirer, CPM liaison to the Inquirer is also appointed and goals for the upcoming year will be established. The action to enroll the person as an inquirer is reported to the Presbytery at its next meeting.